A dry bag for Kayaking is a storage sack that is built from waterproof material to save your clothes, valuable belongings, and food from getting wet. Most manufacturers claim their dry bag for Kayaking to be 99.9% waterproof. These bags are generally cylindrical or elongated in shape and are available in different sizes and colors. Just put in the stuff that you need for Kayaking, close the band running around its mouth, and your stuff will be safe and dry.
Recommended Dry Bags for Kayaking
How to Choose a Waterproof Dry Bag?
Kayaking is fun, but no one wants to have a soggy meal, wet clothes, and a damp sleeping bag when you reach your destination. For this reason, you need a good dry bag for kayaking. Before you go searching for the perfect dry bag for your Kayaking adventure, first think about how many bags (one or more) do you need, what do you plan to pack, and what kind of conditions are you hoping to encounter.
- Consider the following factors when choosing a dry bag:
- Material: You need to choose your dry bag’s material based on durability, flexibility, and weight factors. Vinyl bags are very durable though they can be a bit stiff and heavy as compared to Nylon bags. If you want to carry heavy or abrasive items and want a bag that stands up well, you should go for a Vinyl bag.On the other hand, Sil-Nylon (waterproofed Nylon fabric) is lighter and more flexible but may not be as durable as a Vinyl bag. You can put in things like zip-locked or prepacked food items as well as your sleeping mat in such bags.
- Size: You can find a lot of options on sizes (measured in liters) of your dry bag; from a bag that is small enough to put your cellphone, ID, and money, or big enough to have sleeping mats and bags. The ideal size is somewhere between 8 to 20 liters. You can find bigger bags to fit in more stuff, but it is sometimes recommended to have multiple bags of average size to make it easier to organize your stuff.
- Shapes: Most of the dry bags for Kayaking are shaped like a cylinder that opens from one end. There are also tapered dry bags that are specially designed to fit into the front or back hatch of the kayak, which is an enormous plus when you want to have more (organized) space.
- Closure Method: There are normally two options when it comes to how to close the dry bag: zipper seal and roll-top closure. The closing method is important because your bag is completely waterproof only when it is properly closed.
- Colors: Colors help you organize your stuff and to let you remember what stuff is in which dry bag. For example, you may want to put your clothes in the yellow bag, food in the blue, camera gear and maps in the orange, and sleeping bag in the red, etc. In addition to this, if you go for dry bags that have transparent/ clear windows, they help you in identifying the inside stuff which makes it easier to grab the bag you want.
Kayak Dry Bags Under $20
You can enjoy Kayaking on a budget by checking out these amazing dry bags that are under $20.
Earth Pak – Waterproof Dry Bag
The Earth Pak Waterproof Dry Bag is not just great for Kayaking, but its minimalistic design is excellent for many other water adventures like Rafting, Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Beach-trips.
The dry bag comes in different colors and is available in many sizes of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 55 liters. It comes with a waterproof and transparent phone case which is ideal to take photos while your phone is inside the case, and perfect for phones up to 6.5 inches of diagonal screen. The bag is rolled from the top and then buckled to close it to keep everything dry and protected. The D-rings are sturdy and can be used for attaching the dry back to other bags or the Kayak.
Extremely durable and waterproof, the Earth Pak Waterproof Dry Bags provide a complete value-for-money factor. Each bag has a sturdy strap to hold the bag. The 10L and 20L dry bags have a single shoulder strap, whereas the 30L, 40L, and 55L bags have two padded shoulder straps for evenly distributing the weight, where the 55L bag even has an additional waistband.
- Durable material.
- Attractive design available in different colors and sizes.
- It comes with a transparent waterproof phone-case that you can use to take photos while Kayaking.
- Value-for-money factor.
- You must carefully fold the top to keep the inside from getting damp.
MR LION Floating Waterproof Dry Bag
Made from good quality and water-resistant 500D PVC cover, Mr. Lion Floating Waterproof Dry Bag will keep your items safe from water, mud, sand, and snow.
It is available in four sizes: 10L, 15L, 20L, and 30L, so you can select the size you need. Each dry bag has a waterproof phone case that fits even your largest phones, as it is suitable for 6.7 inches of screen size. The waterproof phone case has a sturdy snap and lock access and is transparent to protect your phone while you take pictures and make adventurous memories.
Mr. Lion Floating Waterproof Dry Bag has a roll-top closure to give your stuff maximum protection. It is easy to open, close, use carry, store, and buckle (thanks to its upgraded big buckles). It comes with two adjustable Nylon shoulder straps (21 – 38 inches), making the Mr. Lion Dry Bag perfect to be used as a single should bag or a backpack.
Since it comes in seven different colors, it becomes very convenient to organize these dry bags by putting a certain item (or group of items) in a particular colored dry bag. For instance, your food in green, first-aid in blue, etc.
- Excellent price for the great PVC durability this floating dry bag offers.
- Available in 4 sizes: 10L, 15L, 20L, and 30L.
- Give you a variety of colors to choose from: black, blue, green, gray, orange, yellow, pink.
- Transparent phone case for as big as 6.7 inches digital screen.
- You must fold the top carefully to keep the inside from getting damp. When properly done, it is guaranteed to protect your items.
EcoGear FX Heavy Duty Waterproof Dry Bag
The EcoGear FX Heavy Duty Waterproof Dry Bag is exactly what its name suggests – it is made from 500D PVC Tarpaulin, which is waterproof and durable, and guaranteed to last for many years of heavy-duty Kayaking. It is also great for many other outdoor adventures including hiking, rafting, fishing, camping, boating, etc., as it is designed to withstand the most extreme conditions.
EcoGear FX Heavy Duty Waterproof Dry Bag has a single shoulder strap that offers a wide adjustable range of 24 inches to 42 inches. It comes with a scratch-resistant and waterproof phone case that provides complete protection if submerged in water through its secure lock seal. The touch-friendly phone case can fit many phone varieties (including Samsung Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 7 Plus) for up to 6.5 inches of diagonal screen size.
- Great price – under $20.
- Durable and waterproof 500D PVC Tarpaulin, with welded seam construction.
- Adjustable strap system, offering a range of 24 – 42 inches.
- D-ring on roll-top closure to ensure easy attachment of small items.
- Four colors to choose from: black, blue, orange, and yellow.
- A snow proof, dustproof, and waterproof transparent phone case for as big as 6.5 inches digital screen.
- When many competitors have dozens of sizes to choose from, it is available in only 2 sizes: 10L and 20L.
Waterproof Semi-transparent Dry Bag
Whether you want a dry bag for an extreme water sport or a casual outing, the Waterproof Semi-transparent Dry Bag is sturdy and weatherproof and can be used in not just Kayaking, but other outdoor sports that involve sand, snow, water, and mud. The items are secured by a roll-down and clip buckle to keep your belongings safe. It is available in two sizes of 10 and 20 liters giving you plenty of space to put your stuff. Not only that, each dry bag has a very practical and handy zipper compartment where you can put your small items including keys, money, or even important documents.
Waterproof Semi-transparent Dry Bag is made of 0.3mm thick PVC to make sure the bags never rip apart or get punctured easily over time. Each dry bag comes with a side handle on both sides to ensure easy handling and carrying of the bag. The 10L bag comes with a single back strap whereas the 20L dry bag has a double backpack style strap.
- Amazing Value-for-money factor.
- Inner zipper pocket for quick access to small items.
- Reinforced bottom seam stitching (layered stitching).
- Side handle which is convenient for quickly handling the bag.
- A stylish transparent waterproof sack; durable and waterproof 500D PVC Tarpaulin.
- Adjustable strap system that lets you switch between the left and right shoulders. The 20L dry bag has an optional dual backpack strap.
- Four attractive colors to choose from: black, blue, green, and red.
- It does not have a transparent phone case option, though a zippered compartment is present. Still, if you want to take photos while Kayaking and during other outdoor sports, you will have to risk exposing your cellphone to water and sand, etc.
- It comes in 2 sizes: 10L and 20L. If you need a different size, you may have to look at any other brand.
Best Dry Bags
A well-designed, practical, and durable dry bag for Kayaking is an investment – it will last for seasons and adventures to come. And not just in Kayaking, it will help you in all kinds of outdoor sports – from skiing to snorkeling, camping to beach trips – a good dry bag can be used anywhere you want.
IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag Dry Sack
The IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag Dry Sack is what Kayaking dreams are made up of – waterproof, scratchproof, durable, and high-quality material that is easy to use, convenient to store and organize, and practical to have an outer pocket as well as multiuse functionality.
IDRYBAG Waterproof Dry Bag Dry Sack is made up of 500D scratchproof material, and the bag has multiple compartments to store your stuff and keep them organized. There is a small pocket inside the main dry bag that can be used to store items separately, like your cellphone, ID, wallet, money, and keys, etc. The main compartment of this 30L dry bag is spacious and sturdy. There is an outer splash-proof front pocket which is water-resistant (but not entirely waterproof due to the zipper), and ideal to keep handy stuff (such as flashlight, knife, etc.) that you may need during Kayaking or other outdoor adventures.
- Reflective trim to assure safety.
- Whistle with the POM Buckle.
- Multiple pockets to keep your stuff organized.
- The front pocket is water-resistant but is not completely waterproof as water can seep through the zipper.
- Available in only one size of 30L.
Freegrace Waterproof Dry Bags
Freegrace Waterproof Dry Bags are specially designed by keeping your love for Kayaking in mind. Being a set of 3 bags, it is all you need on your Kayaking, Rafting, Swimming, Camping, Hiking, Snorkeling, or Fishing adventure.
The Freegrace dry bag is made with 500D Tarpaulin that features double zip lock seals so your belongings are twice as safe as any good dry bag available in the market. The phone case is transparent and touch-friendly, making it super easy to take pictures, text, and post on Instagram while you enjoy the adventure. The waist pouch is practical and waterproof and can easily float when immersed in water.
The Freegrace Waterproof Dry Bags come in 5L, 10L, and 20L sizes.
- Super durable material ideal for extreme sports.
- It comes in a set of 3 practical as well as waterproof bags – the main dry bag, a waist pouch, and a cellphone case.
- The shoulder strap is adjustable as well as removable.
- Opening and closing the dry bag seal can sometimes be a little difficult.
Professional Dry Bag – Top Pick
Some of the fun activities that our mind and body crave can turn out to be too wet for our gadgets and other important stuff. Therefore, we need to have the support of a great quality dry bag that keeps our belongings dry and our outdoor experience worth the price we pay.
Watershed FUTA Stowfloat Kayak Bag
Watershed is a leading name when it comes to excellent quality waterproof bags, and the Watershed FUTA Stowfloat Kayak Bag is the perfect example of good design meeting quality. Since the bag is made from 420-denier Nylon packcloth fiber, it is five times stronger than PVC. The elongated construction of the dry bag is ideal to slide the bag inside the Kayak and take it out when it is filled with important gear. The seams are ultra-strong, and the airtight zip-dry closure seals the bag like a freezer-bag – the only difference is that it has more power, quality, and grip. Even when submerged underwater and under-pressure, the dry bag is fully sealed, floats and keeps your items safe.
Ergonomically designed for your convenience, the Watershed FUTA Stowfloat Kayak Bag has a removable and adjustable shoulder strap to make transportation extremely easy. These bags are super sturdy and their double-seal locks keep all your belongings as dry as you always want them to be. It is available in orange, black, blue, and coyote colors.
- It comes with a long inflate/ deflate tube so you can adjust buoyancy.
- The dry bag material is 5 times stronger than PVC.
- Ultra-strong seams and airtight closure ensure everything stays dry and safe.
- The shoulder strap is not padded.
So, when it comes to practicality, durability, and cost, which Dry Bag for Kayaking is the one that is going to accompany you on your next trip?