It seems to me that, as the quality of phone cameras has rapidly improved in recent years, there seems very little reason to have a point-and-shoot camera as well when we travel. About 6 years ago, on the cusp of the rapid advances in cell phone technology, I splurged on a $650 Cannon digital camera with 10x digital zoom. It turned out to be a bad decision because once I bought an iPhone I quickly became a convert to using it as my primary camera. I haven’t used my digital camera for over 4 years now! Even if it took slightly better photos than my first iPhone it just wasn’t worth the extra weight and bulk in my carry-on.
On international travel days I always wear my money belt (around my waist) in which I stow my most valuable things. I’ve noticed that in hot, steamy countries like Cambodia, the contents of my money belt can get a bit damp with sweat. Gross but true! A protective waterproof pouch would prevent this.
I regret not having a dry case on previous holidays to the Perhentian Islands (Malaysia) island hopping in Thailand and the Red Sea, where photos of the tropical fish and coral would have been awesome. Perhaps, like me, you have opted out of water activities in the past because of concerns your phone/camera might get damaged by water, or sand for that matter. The best views of the beach are often seen from the perspective of the water too so a protective pouch would be great addition to any beach excursion.
Recommended Waterproof Phone Case for Kayaking
Mpow Waterproof Case
Universal Dry Bag Pouch for Outdoor Activities for Devices up to 6.0″.
This looks to be Great value for money and it gets an average of 4 1/2 on Amazon reviews. As with all the cases listed below this one is water, sand, dirt and dust proof. At 7.08″ long by 3.937″ wide itwill fit any phone less than 6 ” long and < 0.5 ” deep. The beauty of these thin skinned transparent pouches is that you can still use your touchscreen (but note not fingerprint recognition). When doing underwater photography it is recommended that you take photos using the volume buttons though, because hydrolic pressures can affect the touchscreen’ reliability. Keeps contents bone dry, but put you phone in before any exposure to rain or spray or else the inside can get foggy. Underwater photos turn out really well in most instances. Only occasionally can reflection from the case can be an issue. The bag has a detachable lanyard that fits around your neck. With a passport/papers and a little air inside it will float, but with a cell phone it only has a little buoyancy and will likely sink, albeit more than the phone would alone. It is certified waterproof to ver 3 feet but down say down to what depth.
- Note: 1. Phones with large Otter Box are not recommended in this bag! 2. Cell Phone may suffer hydraulic pressure under certain water depth, which will impact the operation of the touchscreen. Please take photos by volume buttons in this case. 3. Easy to operate the touch screen functions, but not for touch ID fingerprint. 4. Waterproof bag inside the Fog is a normal phenomenon …
2 Pack Ace Teah Clear Universal
Waterproof Case, Dry Bag, Pouch, Transparent Snowproof Dirtproof for iPhone 7 6 6S Plus SE 5S 5C, Samsung Galaxy S8, S7 S6 edge , – Blue, Green.
At 7.8 x 4.5 x 0.6 inches it will fit most cell phones, though with larger ones you may need to remove the cellphone case first. It is also big enough enough for a passport, but not together with a cellphone. With any waterproof pouch it is recommended that you test it with a tissue inside and submerge for 10-15 before first use and on a regular basis thereafter. Remember it would be fairly easy to pierce the 0.3mm transparent windows. It also has a detachable clip with a sturdy leash which goes over your head. It is certified waterproof down to 100 feet.
- NOTE: 1. Certain big screen phones need to remove protective case; 2. Due to the hydraulic pressure under certain water depth , which will impact the the operation of the touchscreen, please take photos by volume buttons in this case; 3. Test the waterproof function: Press the waterproof case flatly to see if there is air leaking …
JOTO Universal Waterproof Case
JOTO CellPhone Dry Bag Pouch for Apple iPhone 6S 6,6S Plus, SE 5S, Samsung Galaxy S7, S6 Note 5 4, HTC LG Sony Nokia Motorola up to 6.0″ diagonal.
This highly rated case comes in 8 different colors, is made of scratch resistant material, and fits any phone up to 6″ on the diagonal. It is also waterproof down to 100 feet. As no waterproof case floats on it’s own when laden with a phone camera it is worth considering purchasing a Nordic Flash Waterproof Camera Float as well.
- ⛱️ 2 Pack Universal size waterproof case dry bag with green color, fits all smartphones up to 7" diagonal size (Certain big screen phones need to remove protective case); Credit card wallet money waterproof dry bag for pools, beach, fishing, swimming, boating, kayaking, snorkeling and water park activities …
Voxkin PREMIUM QUALITY Universal Waterproof Case
Waterproof Case with ARMBAND, COMPASS, LANYARD – Best Water Proof, Dustproof, Snowproof Pouch Bag for iPhone 7, 6S, 6, Plus, 5S, Samsung Galaxy Phone S7, S6, Note 5, 4.
This option has the added features of a detachable and adjustable armband (as well as a detachable neck lanyard and an inbuilt compass. It is certified IPX8 waterproof to any depth, but as with other brands they recommend you check with your cell phone manufacturer as to how much hydrolic pressure it can withstand. It is compatible with any cell phone up to 6 inches in length. There were some reviews saying that, although it is just large enough for an iPhone 6 Plus, the light blue edge obscures the camera lens. It is advertised as being buoyant but, as with all other brands, this is not the case once it has a phone in it!
Voxkin sells it in 6 different colours on Amazon.
- ✔ INCREDIBLY SAFE YET SUPER STYLISH – Our waterproof phone holder keeps your phone 100% resistance from water, dust, dirt & snow – whether you are at beach, running, under water, kayaking, snorkeling, shower, swimming or enjoying wet rain. Unlike other cheap plastic water resistant dry purse, ours protective case doesn't compromise style at the expense of safety. Even if you accidentally drop your waterproofing cover at water, you don't have to be worried - you will find it floating / float …
Waterproof Case YOSH Universal
Snow Proof Pouch Dry Bag for Apple iPhone 6 plus, 6s plus, 5s, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, S6 Edge, S5, S4, Note 4 for Cellphone up to 6 inches.
This one comes in 6 attractive colors and is IPX8 waterproof rated. Like the others it fits cellphones up to 6″ in length. Gosh provides an unconditional lifetime guarantee on this product (but not the phone inside it) which provides more piece of mind. Unlike the previously reviewed brand this one fits the iPhone 6S Plus fine, as long as it has no there case on it. This one performed very well when c.f some very expensive waterproof cases in a head to head YouTube test to a depth of 40 feet, and came out in top with the much more expensive Hitcase Pro series and Bodyglove Optrix brands.
FRiEQ Universal Waterproof Case for Outdoor Activities – Waterproof bag for Apple iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 6, 6 Plus, 5S; Galaxy S6, S4; HTC One X, Galaxy Note 3, Note 2; LG G2 – IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet (Black)
Gets generally great reviews (4 & 1/2 star average). Some people pointed out that it was too small for their Phone 7 S phones and a few found that their touchscreens weren’t as sensitive as they would like through the plastic cover. Is waterproof down to 100 feet according to Frieq.
- IPX8 certified YOSH waterproof case. For your safety, each YOSH waterproof phone case has been tested for 30 minutes underwater at a depth of 30 minutes. You can also easily enter the phone through the transparent window of the mobile phone case or make phone calls so as not to touch the dirt directly on the screen. (Touch ID and home button function are affected). For better experience, we recommend using without phone case …
Optrix by Body Glove Kit for iPhone 6/6s
If you have an iPhone 6 and you want a reliably waterproof and sturdy hard case that will protect you phone if dropped, this is the one for you. The product’s title is a bit misleading as, according to reviewers, it fits the iPhone 6 but NOT the iPhone 6 Plus. It would seem that hard cases are very fitting and are manufactured for a specific phone type.
This case is pricier at around $50. The Pro comes with 4 different screw on lenses: normal, telephoto, macro and wide-angle, the latter which is great fro underwater photos. The Standard case comes with just 2 lenses: normal and wide-angle. this case doesn’t allow close-up selfies but Body Glove sell accessories that allow it to be mounted on a selfie stick, tripod or helmet. LIke the soft flexible waterproof cases this is not used as a regular cell phone case for daily use away from the water. As stated earlier it performed well in a head-to-head challenge with other hard case brands. As with all the other cases reviewed above the main complaint is that it’s more difficult to use the touchscreen under water but I think you’ve got to expect that.
- Now Waterproof to 33FT (10M), IP68 rated
- Drop tested and survived 20ft (6m)
- Crush resistant unibody construction
- 2 aluminum and glass interchangeable lenses (0 Degree Low Profile and 165 Degree Wide Angle)
- Fully mountable
Kobert Waterproof Cell Phone Case (Pro Pink)
Dry Bag Pouch for iPhone 6s, 6s Plus Samsung Galaxy s7, s7 Edge, s6, Any Phone up to 6 Inches.
This is another highly rated case with an detachable armband as well as a lanyard. Phones up to 3.34 x 6.49 x 0.78 inches in dimension will fit in this case, including the iPhone 6 S Plus. It comes in 4 vibrant colors. The Deluxe Pro version has a carabiner instead of the armband and it has a sturdier metal lanyard clip. The standard black version come with a lanyard and stylus. For underwater photography, as with most soft cases, it is recommended that you turn on your photo/video screen before you go below the surface, and take photos/video using the volume buttons.
Having a waterproof phone case for kayaking can be really useful when you are at a kayaking trip, and you don’t want to worry about dropping your cell phone into the water at every moment. It can be also kind of handy, if you want to have a dry case for your cash, and avoid steamy air ruining your items in some tropic areas. Happy fishing!