Kayaking is fun, but do you know what is better – making your fun profitable. You can make your kayak a fishing kayak by installing a kayak fishing rod holder on it. Such a rod holder is the vital thing that separates a common kayak from a fishing kayak.
Kayaks are great for fishing as they help you explore water that does not receive much fishing traffic, enabling you to be luckier for obtaining your catch of the day on the water.
For your ideal rod holder for kayak, you need a rod holder mount that is waterproof. There are a lot of options around to choose from, that are recommended below, and installing kayak rod holders is super easy.
Recommended Kayak Fishing Rod Holders
Best 11 Fishing Rod Holders
Here are some of the reviews of our most recommended rod holders for kayak:
1. Lixada Adjustable Fishing Boat Rods Holder Rack
This 360-degree rotatable rod holder mount is constructed with strong and impact-resistant plastic and stainless-steel hardware. You can easily adjust it using the large locking knobs. It has a front lock mechanism that avoids losing the rod while you are on the go.
The Lixada Adjustable Fishing Boat Rod Holders can be conveniently installed and are ideal for kayaks and boats. Its price is $16.99 and is compatible with most of the fishing rods.
- 📌 MORE STABLE - Constructed with high impact resistant plastic. It can clamp on anywhere firmly. Great for Boats or kayaks, includes stainless steel hardware.
- 📌 ADVANCED DESIGN - Large locking knob offers easy up and down adjustment. Front locking ring prevents rod loss when traveling.
- 📌 ADJUSTABLE DESIGN - Allows for 360 degrees horizontally and over 90 degrees vertically …
2. Suuonee Fishing Rod Holder
The Suuonee Rod Holders are manufactured using super strong and great quality propene polymer. It consists of a G Clamp mount that is made from aluminum with steel pressure screws. This clamping mechanism works great with many rail thicknesses and can be slipped over the boat. It has an adjustable 360 degrees rotation, in upward and downward directions, and can be locked to prevent the rod from slipping down.
The Suuonee Fishing Rod Holder can be securely installed on your boat, so you do not have to tire yourself up while holding onto your rod. The product comes with a 12-month warranty and is available for $21.49.
- High quality:Fishing Rod Holder adopt high quality propene polymer material, very durable and environmentally friendly. Every production shipment tested and certified.
- Introduction: G Clamp mount made from aluminium with steel pressure screw. Clamp-on system adjusts to a range of rail thicknesses and it is wide enough to slip over the boat rails/gunnel/side(Clamp Maximum opening 1-3/4in) …
3. Bekith 2 Pack Adjustable Powerlock Rod Holder with Combo Mount, Black Finish
The black Bekith Powerlock Rod Holders come with a combo mount and are available in a pair of two. The rod holders can be easily rotated in a 360-degree giving you the flexibility to move it up or down, depending upon your preference. The rod ring can be locked for safety, and the stainless-steel hardware ensures durability and sturdiness.
The rod holders of Bekith Adjustable Powerlock can be easily detached when not in use, and the multi-positional mounting pack is available for $25.99.
- SHADDOCK Fishing Rod Holder gives you versatility and convenience while out fishing
- 360°ADJUSTABLE, Rod Holder makes it easy to access your rod and put it into the perfect position
- It's corrosion resistant, high impact plastic construction gives rod holder long lasting durability
- Large opening of SHADDOCK Fishing Rod Holder can clamp to anywhere you want MAX OPENING 1.97" …
4. Cannon Downrigger Rod Holder
Cannon is a leading name in fishing supplies, and the Cannon Downrigger Rod Holder stands up to the quality and performance that the company offers. It can be configured at three different positions giving you the flexibility and versatility you need.
You can quickly adjust the rod using the spring-enabled tension knob. The best part is, it gives you 360-degree freedom to rotate your rod, whether mounted at the top or on the side. The Cannon Downrigger Rod Holder is also compatible with other cannon accessories.
- Three-position configuration
- Spring-loaded tension knobs for quick rod adjustment
- 360° base can be top or side mounted
- Adaptable with Cannon rod holder accessories (not included)
5. Scotty #282-BK Baitcaster Rod Holder w/Gearhead & Track
The Scotty #282-BK Bait Caster Rod Holder can be an asset for any kind of angler. It is made of great quality material that can bear the weight of all kinds of catches. It has a bait caster reel secured in the cradle and the front slot spins the reel.
The rod holder comes with a gear head and track adapter that slides into its place and locks down. You can change your rod holder positions with a simple twist, it is as easy as that. The versatile Scotty #282-BK Bait Caster can be easily set on different types of kayaks, boats, and canoes, and is available for $26.10.
- The Baitcaster/Spinning Rod holder is a versatile rod holder for any angler
- The baitcaster reel sits in a cushioned cradle while a front slot allows for a spinning reel; The open bottom allows for the rod holder to accommodate trigger grips as well
- Rods can be secured with a soft latching strap which snaps over the top for baitcaster or under the bottom for spinning reels …
6. Attwood 3005.0185 5009-4 Heavy Duty Adjustable Rod Holder with Combo Mount, Black Finish
Attwood has been helping the fishing world for the past 100 years with great quality and practical fishing accessories. The Attwood 3005.0185 5009-04 Adjustable Rod Holder is no exception. It can be used with spinning rods and casting rods and comes with a combo mount. It can be easily adjusted and provides a 180-degree vertical range.
The Attwood 3005.0185 5009-04 Heavy-Duty Rod Holder offers a rapid release latch mechanism and is available for $19.99.
- New ergonomic design and easy to find rapid release latch mechanism
- Large, easy-grip lock-nut offers easy adjustment
- 180-degree vertical adjustment range for a variety of rod tip height settings
- Can be used with casting rods and spinning rods
- Includes a combo mount
7. Wise 6039 Twin Pack Rod Holder with 2 Side Mounts, Black
The Wise 6039 Rod Holder pack comes in a pair of rod holders and two black side mounts. It is compatible with spinning reels as well as casting reels and enables you to configure multiple settings for great positioning. You can insert and remove the rod easily and quickly with the help of the sliding lock ring.
The Wise Model No. 6039 Twin Pack Rod Holder gives you great value for money and its price is $29.99.
8. PLUSINNO Fishing Boat Rods Holder
The pack of the PLUSINNO Fishing Boat Rod Holders come with two pieces of fishing pole boat holders. The rod holders are made with corrosion-free, sturdy, and eco-friendly material, and come with stainless steel hardware.
The PLUSINNO Fishing Boat Rod Holder works great with all kinds of casting, spinning, and spin-cast rod handles. It can be adjusted at 360 degrees which makes the holder highly versatile so you can position it exactly like you want to. It is available for $49.99 with the maximum opening of the clamp at 1.97 inches, so make sure you check your boat or kayak first before making the purchase.
- 🎣【Clamp Max. Opening 1.97 Inch. 2Pack】- Include 2 Pcs Fishing Pole Boat Holders. Please kindly check your boat board size before buying.
- 🎣【Eco-friendly Material & Anti-Corrosion】- This fishing boat rod holder is totally made of high quality and eco-friendly material--strong & anti-corrosion, constructed with high impact resistant heavy duty ABS …
9. Sea-Dog 325039-1 Mount Rod Holder
This Sea-Dog rod holders have a sturdy construction – thanks to the injection molded polypropylene material. It doesn’t require any assembly and is ready to be used from the moment you buy it, once you have simply put together the parts that are installable.
It features some convenient gear such as a built-in knife, pliers and lure holder that are basic tools that any angler would require on a fish kayaking trip. The holder can accommodate rods up to 1-3/4” in diameter.
It has great aesthetics as well as superb functionality. Having said that, the reel slots may be slightly narrow, in which case, they may not be able to accommodate the neck of some reels that are meant to be ultralight rigs. But once fitted, the rod and reel do stay firmly in place and secured.
Its dimensions are: 17 x 11.69 x 1.87 inches.
- Injection molded polypropylene construction
- Easy installation
- No assembly required
- Built-in knife, pliers and lure holder
- Holds rods up to 1-3/4” in diameter
10. Berkley Tube Rod Rack
This Berkley tube rod rack is a simple product and can be an excellent addition to your kayak milk crate. It is made from sturdy and ultra-light material and enables you to store added poles and a net in the tubes. Installation of this rack on the crate is one of the easiest chores you could find. The rack comes at a decent price, and you are paying for the quality.
These racks have mounting locations that help you to install it anywhere. The installation hardware is included, however, the screws may be upgraded with better quality stainless ones for more durability.
They rack doesn’t have slots for reels like its contemporaries and that ensures that the long rod handles do not extend all the way up to the deck.
Their width is the same as that of the milk crate and hence the size is ideal and works well on fishing rig. It can easily store 3 rods or combos, in a neat and secure manner. It is corrosion proof, durable and a light product and comes in black color only. It also attaches to the wall quite easily.
Its dimensions are: 5 x 3.5 x 1.1 inches.
- Stores 3 rods or combos neatly and securely
- Corrosion proof
- Easily attaches to wall
- Durable and lightweight
- Color: Black
- Stores 3 rods or combos neatly and securelyEasily attaches twall
11. Yak Gear Triple Rod Holder Kit
Accessories such as milk crates, buckets and coolers are meant to give you internal storage area on the deck. These do not offer the kayaker any external storage, or more commonly, rod holding features.
Now you can rig the exterior of your existing storage product with the assistance of Yak Gear Build A Crate Kits by optimizing all the storage options.
This kit affords paddlers with a rod holder or an anchor support that can conveniently latch on to your storage container that has internal access.
Some of its features include: three rod or anchor holders and added storage slits for pliers, knives and lures on the mounting brackets. This provides the angler with great utility and ease of use, all neatly and practically stored in the same place by maximizing the space available.
All the rod holders are 12 inch. long and also have trigger cut outs so the reels can be appropriately secured and rested.
The kit includes stainless steel installation hardware and helpful installation instructions and rigging tips from Yak Gear. They also recommend water-proof silicone which isn’t included in the kit.
Its dimensions are: 15.4 x 9.4 x 2.6 inches; 1 pounds.
How to Install a Kayak Fishing Rod Holder?
Whether you have invested in a good brand of kayak fishing rod holder or have made your DIY kayak rod holder, it is simple to install a rod holder for kayak.
- Determine where the rod holder is going to be mounted.
- Mark the place on the surface where you will drill a hole to a snug fit the base of the mount. Double-check to prevent any errors.
- Start with drilling and finish off with a saber saw or a knife. Use sandpaper to smoothen the edges.
- Put your rod mount base in the created hole and use a marker to mark for the bolts’ holes.
- Drill holes for the bolts.
- Fit the rod holder base and the bolts properly in their designated holes.
- Apply sealant generously to the mounting bolts and base.
- Tighten the mount base from the back and wipe off excess sealant.
- Your kayak fishing rod holder is now installed and ready to catch some fish!
Here are the most common types of mounts.
If you do not intend to drill into the deck of your kayak, you can mount your rod holder using a clamp. A clamp mount rod holder is ideal if you are renting a kayak (so there are no permanent changes in the kayak) or want the flexibility to move the mount anywhere you want on the kayak.
A crate compatible fishing mount works great for many fishing enthusiasts. The holders are mounted in a crate, and they often come with 3 slots (for rods) on a single piece.
Some of the best kayak fishing rod holders are adjustable. They have an attachment plate that is either round or rectangular. They need to be drilled into your kayak. However, adjustable mounts can have a drawback of moving out of place in case of a sudden force caused by a big fish.
If you bought a kayak without any plan for fishing and now want to change it into a fishing kayak, a great option is to go for the flush mount. The flush mount fishing rod holder for kayak needs to be mounted under the surface of the sit-on-top kayaks. The handle of the rod sits below the surface and everything above the reel (including the reel) is placed above. The flush mount gives a clean and clutter-free look to your kayak.
One of the most used mounting mechanisms these days is the track mount. It attaches the rod to the track adding more versatility to your fishing. There are different kinds of track mounts available for users, from light to heavy-duty, that provide you with the ease to configure.
The deck mount rod holder for kayak enables you to mount your rod on a flat section of your kayak.
All types of deck mounts for your kayak rod holder work well in fishing environments – it is up to your fishing preferences which one you intend to choose.
Where Is the Best Place to Mount a Rod?
You can mount your kayak rod holders almost anywhere you want. If you have a lighter fishing gear where you need to respond as quickly as you can, it is best to always mount the rod in the front of your kayak. However, if you have heavier fishing gear and plan to catch some heavy fish, it is best to place your rod holders facing towards the back.
Also, if you are a right-hander, it is easier to have the mount at your right side of the kayak, and the same goes for lefties who have a better grip of their kayak fishing rod holder towards their left-hand side.
Closing Thoughts About the Best Fishing Rod Holders for Kayaking
We attempted to inform you about some of the top fishing rod holders that you can use and enjoy during your kayaking trips through these mini reviews. We also tried to provide you with the necessary information to install them properly, and the most important types of such products.